Saturday, July 24, 2010

Can I use an anti-dandruff shampoo on my two and a half year old's head?

My daughter (21/2) has excema and treating her with aqueous cream, olive oil and a mild steroid ointment helps. However I have noticed her scratching her head quite a bit, and I do use Johnson's Baby Shampoo and conditioner on her hair, I have even used Aqueous cream in the bath and applied it to her head - and olive oil. I can only imagine the scratching is part of her excema and wondered if their is more I can do to alleviate her discomfort. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.Can I use an anti-dandruff shampoo on my two and a half year old's head?
I would try Gentle Naturals Baby Eczema Wash. Or...I always used Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns on my kids (even though they are not newborns!) as it seemed to keep their cradle cap/dry scalp in check. You might find that the fragrance in the Johnson's shampoo %26amp; conditioner is causing your daughter's eczema to worsen as well. Sometimes strong fragrances, etc. can cause an eczema breakout as it is sort of an allergic reaction in sensitive skin. Although I have always liked the smell of Johnsons, I've noticed it can be quite strong. Try a fragrance free product for sensitive skin. I have heard good things about Burt's Bees Baby products from friends, although I have yet to try myself. Maybe even Aveeno products.


I hope your little girl feels better...eczema can be so itchy and annoying!Can I use an anti-dandruff shampoo on my two and a half year old's head?
Anti dandruff shampoo might add too many harsh substances to her head that could cause it to dry it out even more. Have you ever tried on supplements? Or feeding her some oily fish? Tinned salmon, tuna and sardines are excellent - it will help reduce the inflammation. (assuming she doesn't have any allergies). Fish oil supplements might be just enough to help cure the dryness from the inside! Your pharmacist or gp will have some advice, but if you're able to, try talking to a naturopath.
most anti dandruff shampoo works by removing a layer of skin, so it is really bad for sensitive skin, i cant use it! makes it worse, si in my opinion it wouldnt be a good idea on some one so young and with bad skin, i would either ask the doctor, or use oilitum in the bath, or even cradle cap shampoo, i use it as an adult as i have very sensitive skin and it works well, and its mild so wont irratate, i was advised not to use johnsons baby stuff on my daughter, she has excema and my health vistor said its quite highly perfumed nad not great for extra sensitive skin, also thres a range called simple which is great!! cos it has no soap in it, no colour, no fragrance. soap dries the skin out, especially in children. liquid parafin is good, like the oilitum i mentioned before... hope this helped...
Soak your childs head with baby oil and sit her down and use a soaf brush and comb it removing the flakes , then shampoo her hair with a good shampoo. do this a few times a week for about a month and that should get rid of her proplem. Good Luck
I don't have excema but I've heard of a brand in the UK, Halos and Horns which a woman developed for her son (?) who had excema.





I wouldn't use an adult anti-dandruff shampoo. These work by stripping off the top layer of [flaky] skin, so will be too harsh on a childs delicate scalp.
T-gel...the dark one is best for this....talk to the pharmacist.





Try to get her to lay down in the tub for as long as she can to loosen up the scales that are itching. Then wash her head and do not use your nails. Just rub gently with your fingers.





Or take her to a dermatologist and the doctor will give you medications and shampoos . Each time she scratches she may open up her skin and she will be exposed to all sorts of things .
If I were you I would definitely consult your daughter's pediatrician because you don't want to risk using any of these products and having them cause harm to your daughter's hair. Take the safe way and ask your doctor for advice.
Read the label on your shampoo it shuld be stupidly detailed on what you can and cant use it on. They even tell you how to open the damn cap, for Bliss' sakes. :P
I do not think anti-dandruff shampoo is for children. You pediatrician would be able to recommend a children's dandruff treatment.
No, please don't use dandruff shampoo if it isn't dandruff. Ask your doctor for something; I am sure there is something available for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment